The Academic Quality Committee of the KAZGUU School of Liberal Arts (SLA) is executive and collegial body for the academic activities of the school. The main work of the Academic Quality Committee of the SLA are the creation of a unified internal mechanism for regulating educational-methodological and educational-organizational work, also increasing the efficiency of the educational process within the framework of the School`s Development Strategy.
The main tasks and functions of the Committee:
1) development of uniform criteria and requirements for educational and methodological support, taking into account the specifics of disciplines of the departments;
2) design, correction and statement of unified syllabus standards with the content of assessment criteria;
3) consideration and affirmation of educational programs;
4) approval of the forms of the final control in the disciplines of the KAZGUU School of Liberal Arts;
5) monitoring and analysis of the course of the educational process, development of recommendations for improving the quality of the organization of the educational process of the SLA;
6) review 7 of issues on the organization of the educational process of the current nature (credit offset*, replenishment of classes, requests from students related to technical problems of Canvas, other requests from students and parents.)
*AQC SLA considers applications from offsetting loans of the following students:
-students with IELTS, TOEFL certificates and their equivalents;
-students with TOLES certificates;
-graduates of NIS and IB schools (international baccalaureate)
-students transferring from other universities;
-students who are transferred from one educational program to another.
To receive a credit, the student must submit an application addressed to the chairman of the AQC SLA through the KAZGUU Service Center. In the application, the student must indicate the names of the disciplines that are to be credited, and also attach supporting documents (transcript, TOLES certificate, IELTS/ TOEFL of their equivalents: syllabus, advisor`s recommendation if necessary.)
The procedure for applying for students through the KAZGUU Service Center:
1) The student submits an application for consideration by the AQC SLA through KAZGUU Service Center, which is then forward to the AQC Chairman. The student must attach supporting documents with the application.
2)The AQC Chairman examines applications. In the absence of materials for consideration of applications, the Chairman sends them for revision or the Chairman of the AQC submits the application to the AQC SLA, also puts the coordinators of the departments and/or other employees (adviser, administrator of Canvas, office-registrar, etc.) for approval.
3) These applications are consider within 5 working days.
4) Decisions on student requests are send to the KAZGUU Service Center, the student, also department coordinators and/or advisors.
Chairman of the Academic Quality Committee – A.S.Sarsenbayeva.
Committee on Science and Ethics
The Science and Ethics Committee is the executive and policy-making body for research and corporate and business ethics at the KAZGUU School of Liberal Arts (SLA). The main objectives of the Committee on Science and Ethics are:
1. Development of the policy and ethics of research activities of the KAZGUU School of Liberal Arts.
2. Extension of corporate and business ethics at the School, maintaining a positive business image of the School and resolving conflict situations associated with violation of ethical norms and rules or conducting educational activities.
In accordance with the tasks assigned to it, the Committee performs the following functions:
1.Evaluation of the research work of the teaching staff and making appropriate recommendations for determining the categories.
2. Development of recommendations for the publication of textbooks, teaching aids, articles.
3. Participation in the preparation and publication of scientific publications, involvement of researchers for double-blind peer reviewing.
4. Consideration of strategic issues and issues of a current nature on research and development work, analysis and recommendations for the organization of research work.
5. Implementation of a code of ethics in the School: organization of a training system for business and corporate ethics, ethics of scientific research, holding internal discussions, meetings and conferences.
6. Systematic study and monitoring of the state of corporate ethics and business culture at the School.
7. Consideration of conflict situations associated with internal and external conflicts.
8. Preparation of materials on the competence of the committee for submission to the School or University and other issues.
9. Checking the research work of teaching staff in the Turnitin system;
10. Monitoring for the presence of corruption issues and identifying hired performers of work in the framework of a survey among students.
Chairman of the Committee on Science and Ethics – Yemelyanova E.V.
*The Committee on Science and Ethics considers violation of the rules of conduct by students during examinations based on the criteria specified in the Manual for ensuring academic integrity (protocol of the meeting of the Academic and Research Council of M. NARIKBAEV KAZGUU University №3 March 20, 2019 and Extract from protocol of the meeting of the Committee on Science and Ethics of the KAZGUU School of Liberal Arts dated 05/08/2019, №21)
English language department was established on the initiative of M.S.Narikbayev in 2008. In the 2014-2015 academic year the department became a part of KAZGUU School of Liberal Arts.
There are 26 instructors in the department.
Language programmes have been designed to help students reach language proficiency in B2 and C1 levels, and are based on the materials of Cambridge University Press, which allows them to successfully master undergraduate programs with English as a medium of instruction.
The department faculty annually undergo certification necessary for their professional development, including internships and training within the framework of the Bolashak presidential scholarship programme.
The teaching staff includes graduates of Nazarbayev University and foreign universities such as the University of Leicester, Newcastle University, Mississippi Valley State University and other leading world universities.
The department works under the Erasmus+ programme.
In 2017, the department launched the “Book.Tea.Talk” drama club for students of KAZGUU University, the purpose of which is to familiarize them with modern classical literature and develop acting skills in staging a play in English.
In recent years, the faculty of the department, together with the KAZGUU Language Learning and Certification Centre, have been running English language courses for current students and university staff, as well as preparing students for the IELTS, TOLES, and Cambridge English exams.
All faculty of the department hold the TKT certificates (Teaching Knowledge Testing) in different modules: Module 1 – Background to language learning and teaching, Module 2 – Lesson planning and use of resources for language teaching, Module 3 – Managing the teaching and learning process, CLIL – Content and Language Integrated Learning, YL – Young Learners. Ninefaculty membershave received the CELTA qualification (Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages), which confirms the required level of knowledge and skills for teaching English to adults in accordance with international standards. Twofaculty are certified trainers in preparation for the international exam for knowledge of legal English TOLES (Test of Legal English Skills).
Department of General Education
The Department of General Education was organize through the merger of the Department of the Kazakh and Russian Languages, the Center for the History of Kazakhstan and Rukhani Zhangyru. The Department`s activities are aim at language training moral and spiritual-patriotic education of students.
Our department develops programs aim at certification. For example students studying the Kazakh Language, upon completion of the level, receive a KAZTEST certificate, which is necessary for further employment in state and near-state structures.
In addition, excursions to the historical sights of Kazakhstan are organize for students. Students have the opportunity not only to learn theories about the formation of the country, also to come into contact with historical monuments and deeper understand the heritage of their ancestors.
The Department of General Education Disciplines promotes the principles of national identity in accordance with the principles of RUKHANI ZHANGYRU through the organization of events and lectures among student youth. Thus, an environment is create in which students develop morally and spiritually, in accordance with the mission of the department.
The Business Council is an independent, consultative – advisory body for holding meetings with the participation of invite domestic and foreign companies – partners of the SLA of the KAZGUU in order to obtain advice and expertise on determining the content of the educational programsof provide by the SLA education programs and general education disciplines (Kazakh, Russian, English and Modern History of Kazakhstan), on the conformity of the quality of application in practical activities, taking into account international experience and the development of long-term partnerships for the employment of students – graduates of the SLA of the KAZGUU.